Early Release/Transportation Information
*****First View Bus Tracking Application - Please note that First View App Access information is available via the Parent Portal*****
Please click here to submit a transportation inquiry/question:
Inquiries will be responded to within 72 hours of submission.
Connect-Ed Telephone Notification System
The Rocky Point Union Free School District uses Connect-ED, a school-to-parent telephone notification system, as part of our efforts to communicate more effectively with you. Administration will have the power to make one phone call and reach you in minutes. Connect-ED will enable the Rocky Point Union Free School District to notify you immediately in the event of a snow day or school-wide emergency. The system can deliver up to 3,000 messages within minutes—ensuring that you quickly know what's going on. To receive these messages, the school must have your up-to-date contact information. If you move, change jobs, or obtain a new cell phone number, be sure to provide your child's school with the new contact information so you won't miss a single Connect-ED message.
If you accidentally opted out of receiving text messages, please opt back in using 'Subscribe RPUFSD' to 23177.
Emergency School Closings
When school is closed due to inclement weather, bad road conditions, or other emergencies, listen to one of the following radio/TV stations listed below for the announcements regarding Rocky Point Schools.
When Rocky Point's public schools are closed due to weather conditions, bus transportation will not be provided to students attending private or parochial schools.
Two-Hour Delayed Opening
When road conditions in the early morning are hazardous but are expected to improve rapidly as the morning progresses, the District may utilize a two-hour delayed opening for all schools.
Students will report to their bus stops exactly two hours later than they normally would. Dismissal for all schools will be at their normal times. This delayed opening may also be used for other emergencies. All students attending private or parochial schools will follow the same procedure and report to their bus stops exactly two hours after their normal pick-up times.
Notice of the delayed opening will be made as early as possible and broadcast on the listed radio stations and TV-Cablevision News 12 and the District's Connect-ED Telephone Notification System will be activated. In the event that we cannot transport students to school as a result of a “two-hour delayed opening” based on forecast predictions for improved weather and conditions by 7 AM, school officials will announce that schools will be closed. It is important that you continue to listen carefully for just such announcements.
North Shore Youth Council Emergency Closing Protocol
- When all after-school activities are canceled, NSYC programs will remain open until the usual 6 PM.
- When there is a 2-hour delayed opening NSYC programs also have a delayed opening, NSYC will open at 9 AM and not 7 AM.
- When school is closed due to inclement weather or an emergency, NSYC will not have before- or after-school programs.
- When school has an early dismissal due to inclement weather or an emergency, NSYC will not have any school programs.
The Rocky Point Union Free School District has a contract with the First Student Bus Company. If you have any questions or concerns, they can be reached at:
First Student Bus Company
Long Island Division, P.O. Box 932
82 Route 25A
Shoreham, New York 11786
Phone: (631) 744-2204
Fax: (631) 744-2297
Inclement Weather Bus Stops
NOTE: Inclement Weather Bus Stops are NOT posted on the WWW for safety reasons. Please refer to the hard copy your student(s) brought home from school.
At various times during the winter season Inclement Weather Bus Stops will be used to insure the safety of our student population. The use of these stops may be necessary at any time during the school day, without prior announcement.
Parents should listen to the radio stations or call First Student at 744-2204 if they have any questions regarding whether or not the Inclement Weather Bus Stops will be used. The district's voice mail will also have the announcement. Please make arrangements for someone to meet young children at these alternate stops.
Due to the geographic nature of our area, the following "inclement" weather stops will be utilized when adverse road conditions exist. If your stop is NOT listed, then regular service will be provided.
Rules for Students' Conduct on Buses
- Be orderly, quiet and considerate of people and their property in the vicinity of bus stops.
- Be ready when the bus arrives.
- Bus drivers have the authority to assign seats, give directions, and implement rules for the safe and orderly conduct of students.
- Acceptable public behavior will be expected of all bus riders.
- Pass in front rather than behind the bus when crossing the street to or from a bus.
- Do not enter or leave the bus when it is in motion.
- Remain behind the white line so as not to interfere with the driver.
- Heads or arms must not be extended from bus windows.
- Avoid eating on the bus and help keep the bus neat.
- Shouting, fighting, offensive language, or smoking will result in loss of bus privileges.
- Remain seated until the bus stops at your destination.
- Bus drivers will report violations of the above.
- Students are required to have parental permission in writing of any changes in regular transportation arrangements.
- Students who violate the regulations can have their bus privileges revoked
Private and Parochial School Transportation For 2024-2025
PER EDUCATION LAW THE DEADLINE IS APRIL 1, 2024.
In accordance with Chapter 3635 of the NYS Education Law, all requests for transportation to a private or parochial school for the 2024-2025 school year must be submitted in writing to the Transportation Office “postmarked” before April 1, 2024. Transportation request forms are available at the Business Office in the District Office located at 90 Rocky Point-Yaphank Road, Rocky Point, NY 11778 (North Portable). Additional Information can be obtained by calling the District Transportation Office at 631-744-1605.
Passing a Stopped School Bus
Section 1174 of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law prohibits vehicles from passing a stopped school bus. Every person convicted of a violation shall: for a first conviction be punished by a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $400 or by imprisonment for not more than 30 days or by both such fine and imprisonment; for a conviction of a second violation, both of which were committed within a period of 3 years, such person shall be punished by a fine of not less than $600 nor more than $750 or by imprisonment for not more than 180 days or by both such fine and imprisonment; upon a conviction of a third or subsequent violation, all of which were committed within a period of 3 years, such person shall be punished by a fine of not less than $750 nor more than $1,000 or by imprisonment for not more than 180 days or by both such fine and imprisonment.